Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Savannah screams

Savannah is possessive.  Most kids are, right? Lily is one.  She has no concept of what will make her sister crazy with rage.  A few months ago, I taught Savannah to play "trick the baby".  When Lily has a toy Savannah wants, Savannah goes over with a different toy and makes it seem like the most tantalizing toy ever.  In theory, this should cause Lily to drop the coveted toy and play with the new one.  Sometimes this works. Sometimes, it really, truly doesn't.

Yesterday, they were by each other when Lily started screaming hysterically.  I called Savannah over and asked why Lily was crying.  She repeatedly denied any guilt.  I finally threatened that if she didn't 'fess up, she would have to go to her room until she was ready.  So, she told me that she hit Lily with a Wii remote in the face because she wanted the toy Lily was holding.  Seriously, a Wii remote to the face!  No wonder the poor baby was screaming!  So, I thought of an appropriate punishment.  

Savannah has these old beanie baby kitties that she LOVES. They are named Calico, Himalayan, Grey Kitty, Brown Kitty, and Grey Kitty Jr. (Grey Kitty Jr. was actually given to Lily for her birthday, but Savannah tends to have a selective memory when it comes to kitties).  Lily is also obsessed with cats, so of course she's always stealing the kitties. So, after Lily was assaulted, I went and got the kitties and gave them all to Lily to play with for four hours.  

I was so proud.  I kept my cool and thought of a very logical punishment that fit the crime.  Four years of child development classes all crammed into one perfect scenario.  I rock. Surely, Savannah would see the logic and learn her lesson calmly, right?   

Savannah completely lost it.  She was bawling and shrieking with rage.  She then started sputtering, "I hate, I hate, I hate..." It was almost as if she was at a loss for words, which is a bit of an anomaly for her.  I knew it.  The inevitable "I hate you Mom" was coming and she was building up to it.  Was I surprised?  No, I knew this day was coming and I was prepared for it.  What  I wasn't prepared for was,

"I HATE WHEN MY CHOICES HAVE CONSEQUENCES!!!!!"

So do I, Savannah.  So do I.


No comments:

Post a Comment